Just a quick restoration of an Italian Gilera CBA. The rims, fork and rear frame where a bit bent. We think it has been in a crash at some point. We straightened it and gave it a quick mechanical restoration and an engine tuning with a Malossi 43 mm cylinder kit.
My buddy Jesper needed a cheap reliable moped, he threatened to buy a cheap scooter – so i had to act fast. I bought a big lot of Vespa / Piaggio parts some weeks ago, and there where nearly enough parts to build a complete Bravo. Nice to get these parst on the road again, instead of collecting dust in someones shed.
My brother bought himself a Honda Express NC50 2-speed from 1983. It was in a driveable condition, but was no fun. It could barely do 30 km/h, and forget about pulling a grown man uphill.
My first thought was to upgrade the intake and carburettor, but that gave only minimal results. I checked everything, and concluded that the 13 mm exhaust header pipe was the biggest restriction. So we ordered a MLM Street exhaust from the USA. While we were at it, we bought a Malossi 45,5 mm kit that was on sale from a danish dealer (Mopedspeed). It took a little grinding to fit, since it’s made for the Honda Camino PA50 model. But the transfers, exhaust angle, stud spacing etc. are all the same.
Now it rides really well, i think my brother will be happy.
My friend Allan had a dream to build a low and simple Puch maxi for shorter rides. We found a Manet Korado that had a good engine and some nice 16″ rims. We kept the parts we could use and sold the rest again.
Another Small Pistons member had a rigid kickstart frame for this project, all the other parts where bought new at JMPB.
We kept the design very simple, everything that isn’t necessary for riding is removed. Allan wanted a low Maxi in black and white design. Check the gallery how that turned out, remember to read the image comments:
My friend needed a new moped after his Ciao was stolen. I found a 1995 Vespa Bravo for a good price, or so i thought at first. It had some nasty damages to the engine and gearbox. But i managed to find some spareparts for a small amount of cash.
Here is the progress so far, stay tuned for future updates:
A local guy brought me this engine, he bought it restored many years ago, but didn’t use it much. The changing temperature differences gave condensation in the engine case and caused a lot of rust damage. The oil was brown and very thick like mayonnaise.
I changed the damaged parts, did some machine work to worn bushings and rebuild the engine with new bearings and seals.