My brother bought himself a Honda Express NC50 2-speed from 1983. It was in a driveable condition, but was no fun. It could barely do 30 km/h, and forget about pulling a grown man uphill.
My first thought was to upgrade the intake and carburettor, but that gave only minimal results. I checked everything, and concluded that the 13 mm exhaust header pipe was the biggest restriction. So we ordered a MLM Street exhaust from the USA. While we were at it, we bought a Malossi 45,5 mm kit that was on sale from a danish dealer (Mopedspeed). It took a little grinding to fit, since it’s made for the Honda Camino PA50 model. But the transfers, exhaust angle, stud spacing etc. are all the same.
Now it rides really well, i think my brother will be happy.
I wasn’t happy with the printed on transparent foil decals, that i could buy for my Honda PA50. I’ve created my own, a copy from an old original. It’s made in Adobe Illustrator and is in vector format, so a plotter can cut it in foil.
We are back from yet another moped holiday. The whole trip was in the mainland this time, no long bridges or ferrys. Our goal was to go as far north as possible in the time we had. We went to Silkeborg as our turning point, the area there has some of denmarks tallest “mountains” with over 140 meters, lots of lakes and beautiful nature.
The weather was ok most of the time, Saturday was a wet and windy disaster, but that didn’t bother us too much. We couldn’t find an empty shelter, so we called a friend in the region of Esbjerg and slept in his workshop. A huge thanks to Michael! 🙂
I will be competing in a cross event later this year, a two hour moped cross event held by me and my friends from the Small Pistons. Our goal is to ride machines that are restricted in a way that they are close to a stock moped. A small class with a maximum of 50 ccm and mostly stock parts and original engine cases. That’s the one i will compete in.
I had an old Bravo frame in my pile of moped parts, and a lot of other surplus parts. I only had to buy a cylinder, airfilter and other smaller bits. So it was an easy choice to make.
There are only two 50 ccm tuning cylinderkits available, one from DR and one from Athena. The latter seemed to be the best choice, but both are pretty mild. Since i’m using the stock engine case, a 13 mm carburettor will be the largest i can fit. It will be driven by a fixed pulley transmission, as variomatics aren’t allowed in this class.
Check the build progress of the frame, from start to finish here:
The engine build can be seen here:
The bike is running as it is now, but i will do more tuning of the cylinder and further adjustments of the clutch and gear ratio.
A new moped in my collection, again a friend that had bought more than he could handle. I can’t get enough of these Piaggio mopeds, so i had to buy it.
It had a broken subframe and gear reduction, other than that only minor repairs and maintenance.
The engine got my standard treatment, DR 43 mm, SHA 13 mm and adjusted case and crankshaft.
Lots of pictures and comments in the picture gallery.
This page uses a small amount of cookies to give me some basic stats and functionality on my website, your information is anonymised and hashed, i don't collect any personal information. If you continue to use this site, i will assume that you are happy with it.OK