To get better acceleration on my Puch Maxi, I adjusted my clutch to engage later at a higher engine speed. There isn’t much bottom end in the Airsal kit, with a heavy gear ratio it needs to build up some RPM before take-off.
I started with some stiffer springs, with as much preload as possible. Then i took about 12 gram weight of every clutch shoe. I ended up taking it down to 73 gram before i was happy with the result. I wouldn’t mind making them even lighter. Remeber to get an even weight and spring adjustment on all shoes.
I haven’t used my Puch Maxi in a long time, the aftermarket wire rims and cheap tires had a bit of vibration and the engine lacked power. I bought some Grimeca cast wheels and nice Schwalbe tires. For the tuning i got a new engine from my friend and club member Esben, don’t want to race the original number match engine.
I rebuild the spare engine with new bearings, seals and a stuffed DMP crankshaft. The topend is a 45 mm Airsal 4 port cylinder with a DMP head, the head isn’t designed correctly, i will need to make some adjusting. I started with a 15 mm Bing replica, but liked the 12 mm original square Bing more. The exhaust is a Jamarcol straight pipe, doesn’t make much noise and has pretty good performance. I need to adjust the clutch with lighter shoes and stiffer springs, there is not much bottom end in this Airsal kit.
More pictures and comments in the gallery below:
This was right after completion, photos are taken in my home town Højer.
I’ve changed a few bits since, high-torque cylinderkit and another exhaust system.
Alot of pictures from my frame restauration.
Alot of pictures from my Maxi engine rebuild.