All members of the Small Pistons have been busy in the last few months with building a new clubhouse. Our old room was too small and cold. We invited a lot of guests to our easter ride, to celebrate our new surroundings. As usual, we have pictures and a video for you.
When i’m riding long trips with my phone for navigation, i drain the battery pretty fast. On my Kreidler i have a 12V 80W system, more than enough power to charge my phone. But most of my other mopeds can only provide 6V and 17-18W. I’ve found a solution to charge a USB device that is ready to buy and mount. It’s a german made bicycle dynamo adapter, the model number is M172N and it’s made by a company called Kemo.
It’s rated at 0,8A charging current and it’s able to take an input voltage of 6-70VAC.
I have it mounted on my Vespa Bravo at the moment and it works great. You obviously need to turn the lights of to charge. The stock ignition only makes 18W and i have a 15W and 4W bulb connected.
I pulled the RD engine this weekend and disassembled everything. Of course it will get new bearings and seals, the crankshaft is still very good, as are the gearbox and clutch. But the clutch has to go, it’s a two plate model, i will try and fit a four plate clutch from a DT80.
There will be some machine work done to the crankcase, as i will fit a cylinder from a Minarelli scooter engine. The gasket surface needs to be lowered 2-3 mm, the bore for the cylinder skirts will be enlarged and the transfer ports need to be matched.
A new project again. I’ve had this Yamaha RD50M for a while, and no plan for it. It’s a german 5 speed model, it can never be ridden as a Moped in Denmark. What better to do than a tuning project?
Right now i’m stripping it for parts that i don’t need, less weight and fewer parts that can fall off 😉
The engine will get new bearings, seals and some porting for a larger cylinder kit. At the moment it has a 45 mm Polini kit with a 20 mm Mikuni. A good daily driver with a topspeed of 80 km/h, nothing you can win a race with. I need something faster, more about that later.
The gallery will be updated with more pictures in the future.
My friend needed a new moped after his Ciao was stolen. I found a 1995 Vespa Bravo for a good price, or so i thought at first. It had some nasty damages to the engine and gearbox. But i managed to find some spareparts for a small amount of cash.
Here is the progress so far, stay tuned for future updates:
Next Vespa Bravo upgrade, a Polini Speed Engine. A very nice engine case with enlarged intake and bored to accept 46 mm cylinder kits. Nothing you can’t achieve on a stock engine case, but i got it for a good price from my friend Nikolaj.
I bought a special intake manifold from Italy, made for a 15-16 mm SHA instead of the normal Piaggio SHA 13 mm carburetor.
I mounted the engine with a used original crankshaft, new bearings and seals. The intake opens 130° before TDC and closes again 51° after TDC, giving me a total duration of 181°. Good for many of the cylinders that are out there.
The setup will be:
46 mm Polini cylinder kit
Dellorto SHA 16 mm carburettor – changed to 13 mm
Proma Circuit exhaust – changed to Sito
Polini variomatic – changed to non-variated
Stay tuned for future updates!
Last update, the Bravo is done for now, onboard video:
This page uses a small amount of cookies to give me some basic stats and functionality on my website, your information is anonymised and hashed, i don't collect any personal information. If you continue to use this site, i will assume that you are happy with it.OK